What is Gift Aid?

Gift Aid is a government scheme that allows charities to claim tax relief on donations. This means that all taxpayers can increase their donations at no additional cost to them, adding an extra 25p for every £1 donated simply by signing a charity Gift Aid declaration.
Gift Aid 1
Gift Aid FAQs

Do I need to make a Gift Aid declaration every year?
No. Once you have made a declaration, it will cover all your donations to the Tigh Sgoile Trust until you cancel your declaration.

Will Gift Aid cost me anything?
Gift Aid doesn’t cost you anything extra. Ticking the box just means that we can reclaim the tax on your donations, as long as you’re a UK taxpayer.

Am I eligible to make a Gift Aid declaration?
To qualify for Gift Aid, you must pay an amount of UK Income and/or Capital Gains Tax, which is at least equal to the amount that we and all other charities will reclaim on your donations in each tax year (6 April to 5 April). If you pay less Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax than the amount of Gift Aid claimed on all your donations in the tax year, it’s your responsibility to pay any difference to HM Revenue and Customs. Gift Aid is claimed at 25p per £1 of your support. NB Taxes such as VAT and Council Tax do not qualify for Gift Aid.

Is it still worthwhile even if my donation is small?
Yes! We can reclaim 25 pence in every pound. For example a donation of £10 would become a donation of £12.50 with Gift Aid added.

If I have a Gift Aid declaration, what should I do if my tax situation changes and I no longer pay UK Income or Capital Gains Tax?
If you no longer pay sufficient UK Income or Capital Gains Tax, please contact us, and we will stop claiming Gift Aid on your donations.

I have already made a Gift Aid declaration to another charity. Does this mean I can't tick your Gift Aid box, or don't need to?
Ticking any box means that only that one particular charity can reclaim the tax on your donations, so it’s important to tick a box for each charity for which you want to claim Gift Aid.

I’ve already made a Gift Aid declaration to the Tigh Sgoile Trust. Do I need to tick the box again?
Not unless we ask you. All your donations and subscriptions are covered with one declaration.

Should I indicate that I have made a Gift Aid declaration on my tax return?
If you are a standard rate taxpayer and do not receive a tax return from HM Revenue & Customs then this is not required. However, if you complete a Self-Assessment tax return, you must declare there anything you have donated that is for Gift Aid.

Please let us know if you:

Want to cancel your declaration
Change your name or address
No longer pay sufficient UK tax on your income and/or Capital Gains
If you only want your declaration to relate to a one-off specific transaction

Make a Donation

We welcome donations to the Trust, and thank you for anything you can give to support the projects.

For donors in the UK a direct bank transfer is best, as this incurs no fees. We are also able to accept donations by credit or debit card, using the form below.

For bank transfers, our details are as follows:
Bank: The Cooperative Bank
Name of Account: Tigh Sgoile Charitable Trust

Sort Code: 08-92-99
Account No: 67221835

Scroll to Top